Social Media 101 in 10 Steps
1. Listen and Locate Fans- Use Involver’s Audience Management Platform to search Twitter and Facebook for mentions of your brand, products, and/or other keywords. This will enable you to identify current and potential fans that you can begin conversations with.
2. Quality over Quantity- “Consumers are statistics. Customers are people.” Fans or followers should have actual interest and the potential to become a customer or a referral. Even though fan count does increase your ranking within Facebook’s news feed (EdgeRank), it’s more important to connect with users who will take interest, comment, interact, and promote your social media sites to actual friends. The best way to accomplish this is through targeted outreach, influencers, and asking existing fans to “send” and share your content to their own news feeds through Involver’s application suite.
3. Partner to Build your Audience- What other fan pages share a similar fan base? Set keyword alerts to identify posts from prospective fans that are active on complementary fan pages. When a keyword is spoken make a post related to your fan page to help amplify your reach (e.g. a company producing kitchen accessories monitors and posts to a kitchen appliance fan page to raise their brand awareness and link to their own fan page.)
4. Cross-Channel Promotion- Make sure you are linking to your fan page from all other channels and sharing product and/or service discounts to your users. Remember, you want new customers, but one of the key ways to reach this goal is by activating your existing customer base and generating earned media. For example: Are you a hotel? Do you have your vanity URL on all checkout slips and receipts?
5. Login as Your Fan Page- Admins can “Login as Page” and interact as they would from their personal profile. You can also like things and post comments from the brands perspective, creating a more cohesive experience.
6. Publish Engaging and Valuable Content- Don’t forget that “content is king”. Publish relevant and interesting topics. Make sure to leverage Involver’s thumbnail feature to customize the images attached to posts sent from AMP.
7. Create Meaningful Relationships- Provide timely updates, share exclusive content, and respond to all fan posts or comments. Using AMP enables you to easily manage task assignment and keep track of follow-up.
8. Build your Ecosystem- Do you have a YouTube channel? Flickr account? Twitter handle? If it makes sense for your brand/business, set one up. Use our application suite to syndicate your content to your fan page to create a one-stop destination for your fans. With over 40% of Americans on Facebook and spending an increasing amount of time there, it makes sense to consolidate your various media outlets to this platform.
9. Provide Discounts, not Giveaways- Yes, everyone loves iPads, but do you want your fans thinking of Apple? It’s often times more beneficial to provide incentives for users to buy or try your own products through coupons and/or discounts.
10. Continual Confirmation- Thank and recognize your fans over the long run with shout-outs, gifts, etc. Does a user consistently provide input and value to your fan page wall? Recognize them even if you don’t offer a gift.
Your engaged customers are your brand advocates and influencers.
What social tips do you use?